THE TERRIFIC TWELVE
I have been reading some material about diet and exercise that is put out by Tom Venuto. He is a natural bodybuilder, personal trainer, gym owner, success coach, freelance writer and author of "Burn the fat, Feed the Muscle".
I love his philosophy about diet and nutrition. Basically he encourages you to eat food as close to its natural state as possible. In one of the articles that I am reading he talks about "The Terrific Twelve".
They are:
1. Oatmeal (or other whole grain cooked cereals, such as barley, wheat, rye etc)
2. Yams (or sweet potatoes)
3. Potatoes (white or red)
4. Brown Rice (slow cook)
5. Whole wheat bread and 100% whole grain products
6. Vegetables
7. Fresh Fruit
8. Low fat & non fat dairy products (yogurt, cheese, milk, etc)
9. Chicken or turkey Breast
10. Egg whites (or "egg beaters")
11. Lean red Meat
12. Fish and shellfish
When I looked at this list the first time I thought WOW! That food sounds, well...yucky! Where are the tortillas, cheddar cheese, sour cream, butter? But, since then I have really enjoyed learning to cook with these terrific twelve. I have learned some spices that are my favorite to add flavor without calories. I feel so much better when I am eating things that don't come out of a box or are made in a factory. Don't get me wrong I enjoy plenty of "junk food" that is out there. But I can testify to you that I literally feel my mood improve when I choose things from the list and am consistent with it. I try to eat my fruit with my morning meals and lunch. Then I eat my vegetables with my afternoon meals and dinner. I also try to eat my starchy carbs like bread, oatmeal and potatoes before 4pm. Dinner is usually a good source of protein and veggies piled high!!!!
2 comments:
Love the tips!!! I love lots of thes things.... but the brown rice is one I stuggle with.... I think it takes time to get use to it? Maybe you could post a few ideas on how to eat them and what spices you use to make them yummy! I love using spices too!
I like a lot of those things on the twelve list, I guess it's just incorporating more of them in my diet on a regular basis. Sounds a lot like the Word of Wisdom to me. I love brown rice, I just need to eat it more. Glad you are feeling good.
Post a Comment