Monday, March 24, 2008

Dippin' and Munchin'

I have to admit when it comes to eating my veggies I have to be very conscience about it. They are not my first choice as a snack or a side dish. Therefore, I have had to come up with some ideas to help (force) me to eat them. The best way to eat raw veggies is to dip them. Unfortunately, most dips are not good for you. So here are two ideas that have helped me to consume more of the food that you can eat endlessly without guilt....VEGGIES!!!

Cottage Cheese Ranch Dip (Protein Ranch Dip basically)

1 tub of fat free Cottage Cheese
1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dry Dressing Mix Stuff (you know what I'm talking about right?)
1 or 2 tablespoons of skim milk

Blend everything in the blender and enjoy with some of your favorite munchies. It will keep in the fridge for a couple of days, then it starts to separate a little.

The best part is that because it is cottage cheese and packed with protein you can have up to a 1/2 cup and it is a serving size.

Hummus
1 can of chick peas (drained and rinsed)
2 table spoons of lemon juice
1 table spoon of olive oil
1 clove of garlic

Blend and divide into serving sizes and enjoy with yummy crunchy veggies. This is a very basic recipe and you can add all sorts of other add ins. I did a search on food network and they had tons of recipes.

NOTE: Because I always try to eat a carb with a protein I have a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese on the side with this. Beans and Legumes are considered a carb even though they have protein in them....they are kind of both.

FUNNY: Rowdy saw me eating this the other day and asked to try it....I thought wow what a great example I am setting...maybe they will learn to like veggies more by watching me eat them. Well he took a bite and said "Oh, I don't like it, I thought it was peanut butter!" I told him "thanks for trying it Buddy!"

3 comments:

Amanda Davis said...

I like the sound of the ranch one I can do that! Hummas..... probably not. But what about peanut butter on cellery? Is that ok?`

Amanda Davis said...

Here is my next questin Julia. I have been eating sensibly, and working my butt off! Literally. I am doing my olipitcal in the am before I eat, and then walking kids to school, and then coming home and doing a ball work out with low wieghts, and I put on wieght in fact I am back to were I started? Any tips. It is frustrating and so depressing to me that I ate a blizzard last nigh! YICKS!

Amanda Davis said...

I need some up dates here Julia!!!