Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Interval Training

For the most part I follow the Body for Life exercise and nutrition program. I ran into Amanda over the weekend and she requested that I post how I train cardiovascularly.

For a detailed explanation go here. This will give you a more detailed description of how the interval training works.

This is how I break down my time on the treadmill:

0-3 minutes warm up - walking at a comfortable pace

minute 3 - fast walk (as fast as I can without running)
minute 4 - slow jog
minute 5 - run
minute 6 - run faster

minute 7 - fast walk
minute 8 - slow jog
minute 9 - run
minute 10 - run faster

minute 11 - fast walk
minute 12 - slow jog
minute 13 - run
minute 14 - run faster

minute 15 - fast walk
minute 16 - slow jog
minute 17 - run
minute 18 - run faster

minute 19 - run as fast as I can for one minute
minute 20 - 25ish cool down

This interval training has worked for me. What I like about it is I don't plateau as easily because my pace is always improving. Therefore, I am constantly training a new intensity and my body has to adapt. After I had Bodie all I could do was walk the entire time changing how fast I walked. Sometimes I will increase the incline if I am up to it.

I hope this helps Amanda. If nothing else it is something fun to try. Another, plus of this type of workout is that it goes by really fast because you have to watch the timer and be alert to know when to change the intensity.

2 comments:

Amanda Davis said...

Ok. I have been trying to do this this week since we talked and I will let you know Monday if there has been a loss. As I told you there hasn't been much loosing (of pounds or inches) since I started in Jan. But this post I think will help me keep better track. Although I am on an oliptical. So I was trying to keep my milage at about 3 miles an hour and just changing the resistance at those minutes... Let me know if this works the same?

Amanda Davis said...

I still have not lost any weight! I am getting pretty discouraged but not enough to stop excersizing. Just enough that this week I let myself eat junk when I wouldn't have!