Saturday, February 23, 2008

Protein Packed Pancakes

I love, love, love pancakes! However, they are full of the all the wrong types of Carbohydrates. How excited was I when I found a protein packed recipe for pancakes.

Protein Packed Pancakes
1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup oatmeal
4 egg whites

Yields about 4 - 6 smallish pancakes

Blend all ingredients in a blender until it looks like batter (I use my magic bullet). Then cook batter like a regular pancake. Now, do not expect Krustez or Biscuick type pancakes when you make these. They do have different texture. What I love about them is they are the perfect meal (both protein and good carbohydrate). Sometimes I will make them silver dollar size and spread some natural peanut butter on them and make little sandwiches with them. They travel well this way when you know you will be in the car and don't want to have a snack attack.

Add ins and toppings:
Cinnamon in the batter and 100% Applesauce on top
Bananas on top or your favorite berry
Sugar Free Syrup
Pumpkin and Pie spice in the batter (yum!)
Milled Flax Seed to make them even healthier
Get creative and add what ever you like in and on regular pancakes!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I love pancakes and so do my kids. I am always looking for ways to make things more nutritious without losing taste and flavor. Great ideas!

Tracey said...

So I tried the pancake recipe. It was interesting. They LOOK like they might not be that different when cooking them, but the taste is different. They're good, but different. Any suggestions on what to do with the left over egg yolks? (I'm Kim Hodson's sister by the way)